Saturday, January 29, 2011

Personal Responsibility Matters

By Shannon
During January 2011, 15 police officers in 10 states were murdered on duty and the month is not over yet.  In 2010, murder of officers was up 40%.  A friend asked me why I thought this new trend existed.  I’m not an expert, but my initial assessment is that rather than fearing the consequences of the action, criminals are now making their bones by killing cops. 

In 2009, 80% of all crime in America was gang-related.  In 2009, it was estimated that 1 million Americans were in a gang.  That means that approximately 0.3% (LESS than 1 percent) of the population commit 80% of the crime.  http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-01-29-ms13_N.htm

To get into a gang you must prove you “have heart.”  If you are a guy that means you’ve got to take a beating from 3 or more guys at the same time.  It’s okay if you lose.  It’s okay if you fall down.  It’s not okay if you curl into a fetal position.  You must keep fighting or you “got no heart.”  If you are a female you must agree to be gang raped or raped by an HIV+ male. 

My friend was astonished and asked.  “Why would anyone agree to any of that?”  I’ll get to that in a minute.

All gangs have Constitutions and hierarchies within the gang.  All gangs have rules and if you violate those rules you will be disciplined.  Discipline can mean a beating or it can mean being executed by your “friends.”  Once upon a time one rule all gangs shared was that you better not bring law enforcement down on the gang.  Times are changing.  Now criminals often have candles like Catholic saints candles, but these new candles are “Law Enforcement Keep Away” candles and often have prayers written on them asking God to keep the law away, so the owner can complete his “righteous” mission of drug or human trafficking.  Cops are no longer seen as protectors.  They are seen as the problem.    

Why would anyone want to be in an organization where they have to prove they “have heart” in the ways I explained?  Why would anyone risk execution by “friends”?  It’s because of the breakdown of the family unit and especially the absence of the American father.  Fathers in America walk away from families and children too frequently.  Mothers do it too, but not as often as fathers.  We’re still shocked when a mom does it.  John Eldrege wrote companion books called Captivating and Wild at Heart that cover what girls and boys need.  While mothers do the nurturing and caretaking and are infinitely important, fathers answer the deep heart questions within the child of either gender.  A boy’s heart question is “Do I have what it takes to be a man?”  A girl’s heart question is “Am I lovely?”  We girls want life to be about more than chores and duty.  We want love, adventure, and romance.  “Am I lovely, Daddy?” translates to “Am I worthy of love, adventure, and romance, Daddy?”

The internet is full of statistics about the breakdown of families today, but I’m more interested in the solution.  Two days ago I wrote about personal responsibility as it relates to the state of our nation.  Today I want to talk briefly about how it relates to the state of our families. 

Men (and women), you have no excuse and no right to walk away from your children.  None.  Not ever.  You have no excuse and no right to insult your children, call them names, or emotionally abuse them.  None.  Not ever.  You have no right to throw your lives away once you have children.  None.  Not ever.  Science now knows what causes pregnancy, so if you don’t want a child use birth control.  Understand though that no matter what kind of birth control you use the result of sex can ALWAYS be a pregnancy.  “I was just looking for a good time.” or “I didn’t sign on for this” or “She’s trying to trap me!” are not excuses to walk away. 

Women, we have a biological imperative to mate with good providers and protectors.  That biological imperative can be seen throughout nature.  A female eagle flies high and drops a stick over and over again.  The male eagle who catches it the most times is the one she chooses as a mate.  Her test shows that if her child falls out of the nest, her husband will be able to save it before it hits the ground.  Choose good mates who will catch you and your children even if the latter is an unplanned “oops!”  Learn about an eagle's mating process here.

What about single moms who don’t have the luxury of having a father figure around?  My heart goes out to you.  Find a safe male role model for your child.  It can be an uncle, adult cousin, grandfather, etc.  My maternal grandfather thought I hung the moon and loved me completely and because of him I feel very secure in who I am most of the time.  In those moments that I’m not, I turn to God who said, “If you come to me, I will NEVER reject you.”  (Paraphrase based on John 6:37.)

This is a longer post than normal, but it’s a subject weighing heavily on my heart.  Here’s the bottom line: 

First, respect officers and teach your children to do the same.  Remember how we honored them in the days after 9/11?  They come running when you are in trouble. 

Second, if you are a mom or a dad then take personal responsibility for the child you brought into the world.

Third, if you know a child who doesn’t have a mom or a dad STEP UP.  Help answer their heart questions.

Fourth, understand that if you don’t make your children feel accepted and loved, they can find a gang who will.

13 comments:

  1. I like this and have a problem with it. I am not going to comment as I do think what you expressed is relevant and should be a guide. Your ideas are for a "good" society, where morals abound. This is not so. I also noticed abortion was not an option for birthing unwanted children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Shannon: So what you are saying is that you believe people are generally bad. You object to teaching children respect for others. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't completely understand what Janis is trying to say. However, I do agree with what Shannon is saying. For example, we do need to teach our children to respect officers as well as people in general. I do believe we live in a moral society. This type of criminal activity is committed by less than 1% of our population. Shannon just keep on writing! I love your blogs and I agree with this one in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this post and agree whole-heartedly. While it seems this world has lost its moral compass at times, that doesn't mean we give up the fight. Lack of personal responsibility is at the heart of so many of our troubles as a nation. In fact, since the abortion topic was brought up, taking personal responsibility for one's own body should include preventing the risk of unwanted pregnancy through the responsible use of contraception or, if that is not possible, through abstinence. Some of us do not see abortion as an "option".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly, the people who would benefit most from reading this blog will never be at a computer READING this blog or any other that might give them counsel and enlighten them. The miscreants created by aberrant parents for the most part will end up dead or being supported by us in prison. It is my opinion that lawyers have taken a good sound constitution and over the years, have perverted it to suit THEIR legal needs. Now, we are left with so many "rights" under the "interpreted constitution" that doing what would be necessary to get everyone "back on track" is legally impossible. We are now seeing the results of granting almost unlimited rights to individuals who could care less about this country or its future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Readers, we appreciate all comments and posts. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and weigh in on the matter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny to me how some choose a crutch instead of working through something. The idea that, "Oh well, the people in this country are bad so let's not figure out a way to remedy that. Let's except that fact and figure out a way to work around it instead of through it." It's the same idea of, "Well, yes, I know I'm quite the "Jackwagon" but that's just the way I am." Fixing it is something that requires moral responsibility and that's something that modern liberal society cannot grasp because that would threaten the whole, "Entitlement System" and there goes their political tool. As far as the abortion question... Must I beckon the ghost called, "Moral Responsibilty" again? Let's drop the fingure pointing and the "Johnny did it first!" whining and put our backs into it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thorougly enjoy reading this blog and really liked this post. I will not go into my personal view points at this time. But I think this post was well written. I also really enjoyed reading the comments posted by others.

    ReplyDelete
  9. by Shannon: FYI - a prison officer was killed yesterday in the chapel of a Washington State Prison. That makes 16 officers down this month. We still have a day and a half left of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eh, just wanted to chime in here because I am confused as to some of the "rights" you have listed...some of them sounded like rights people actually have. I'm not here to say they are things people should do, just that maybe they would be in poor taste, not exactly done without the right to do so. In any case, valid points on most things I suppose I could agree with a lot of the information you posted. However, not going to jump on the bandwagon that no daddy = gang membership. I think it's just a little more complex than that.

    Oh side note for C.H. Wheeler, did you just finger point at the modern liberal society and then recommend not finger pointing?

    ReplyDelete
  11. From Shannon: I certainly did not mean to imply that no dad = gang membership. I do not believe that. I'm very sorry you took it that way. My father was absentee most of my life, but I'm a successful lawyer and have never been in a gang. I think I could raise a child with no father if I HAD TO and that child would likely not end up in a gang because I'd try to make sure that the child and I had a good support network. It would be LUDICROUS to say no dad = gang membership particularly based upon the stats. Less than 1/2 of 1 percent of the population in America are in gangs. I do think that if children do not know how important they are to their parents and how valued they are by their parents, they are more vulnerable to gang seduction. For example, I mentor a child in a group home who has neither father nor mother. Her parents did not die, but they chose drugs over her and wound up with long prison sentences. She and I have a lot of fun, but the head of the group home said that one reason we mentors are so important is that once a trusting and caring relationship is built one-on-one with the child, the child does not want to disappoint the mentor. When kids have no one who will be disappointed in their bad choices it is easier for them to fall prey to gangs. I'm not sure what "rights" you are talking about. My post was not about "rights" it was about cops and gangs and families. Thank you so much for weighing in on this subject and I am sorry if I gave the impression that I believe that 100% of the time no dad = gang membership. I certainly do not believe that. I know many single moms who have done an outstanding job. Unfortunately in my job most of the people I run into are not outstanding people and if I can make people think about how to protect a child from gangs, I would like to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't perceive your entire post as no dad = gang, however you did make a large point at the end of you post making it seem you were saying just that.

    "It’s because of the breakdown of the family unit and especially the absence of the American father."

    This statement in particular grabbed me. But thanks for clearing that up.

    The rights I referred to are in the paragraph that starts,
    "Men (and women), you have no excuse and no right to walk away from your children."

    ReplyDelete
  13. The assumption is all people have a sense of morality to instill in their children. This is simply not true. Depravity exists. Lack of significant ties exist. Not every addict will get clean. Not every mother with HIV will live. Sometimes it is right to walk away." Am I lovely....?" How about am I intelligent? and insertion of God offends me.

    ReplyDelete