Friday, January 28, 2011

Wax Eloquent

By Ann

I am a lawyer.  Yes, a public defender is a lawyer but that’s fodder for another blog.
Every day I go to work to fight the good fight.  I protect and defend my clients when they are charged with a crime.  I represent the interests of people who are about to be committed to an institution due to a mental illness or old age.  In court and in the legal system, I am the mouthpiece for the poor, unfortunate soul that I represent.  I get paid to present logic in debate  and to be a zealous advocate.  I have the legal training, background, and license to do this. And yet, there are times that despite my superior analytical skills and superb articulate dexterity, all I can utter is a clear and resounding.......Um.  Uh. Um. 
Picture can be purchased at http://www.cafepress.com/public_defender/1030936

Defendant:  Ramble. Ramble. Ramble.  Ramble. Ramble. Ramble. Whine. Ramble.
Judge:  Defendant if you say one more word, one more- I am going to go outside, turn on my car, and suck on the tailpipe until I die.
Ms.  Defender is there anything you’d like to add?



Defender:  Your guilty plea was continued
Client:   Didn’t I take a flea bargain.  Or was it my friend who took a flea bargain?


Judge:  Counsel, are you prepared to make closing arguments.
Defendant:  Wakes up from his sleep and raises his head from a pool of drool that sticks to his mouth by a string as he lifts his head. 


Judge: Well you will go to jail.
Defendant:  But I got grand - mom seizures
!!!!

It’s days like these that I feel that the six figure educational debt that I incurred was well worth it.  Yes, it was worth it for the privilege of being able to expose my impeccably superior oratory skills in court. 
Um.  Uh.  Um. 

3 comments:

  1. You definetely fight the good fight. You are not respected as you should be, but thank God you get up early morning and still continue to fight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. correct that - "every"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes uh....um....uh is well said and clearly appropriate!

    ReplyDelete