Thursday, April 7, 2011

Wanna mess with me???

By Shannon

I realize that for those who sit at the other table next to defense attorneys I am a threatening figure.  I understand that defendants liken me to the anti-Christ.  I get it.  Each time I go to trial against someone I try to put myself in his family's shoes.  I imagine believing my loved-one is innocent - or if not "innocent" per se, at least undeserving of justice because of mitigating circumstances.  I know that they do not comprehend the lengths I go to in order to make sure I'm not trying an innocent person.  I know they would not believe me if I told them how much compassion I truly feel for them and that for some of them I've even shed a few tears.  I get all of that.  However, I wish they understood that it is really stupid to attack and antagonize me during the process because their bad behavior has a tendency to mitigate any compassion I may have felt.

For instance, in this current trial I gave the opening statement on Tuesday.  It's the only time I've spoken during this week of trial.  My parts come later on.  So, why did this family decide to mock me for being anemic after they heard me speaking to my doctor's office on the phone outside?  Really?  I didn't know anemia was such a hot-button topic!  They also heckled me in the courtroom because an overzealous baliff wrongly chastized me for using the phone when the judge was not on the bench.  This insignificant little man - drunk with the power of suddenly being a baliff - made such a big deal about me emailing the victim's family on my phone that the defendant and his family decided it must be okay to join in and mock me for my chastizement.  The stupid little man drunk with power didn't seem to realize that it was his responsibility to get the family under control despite the fact that he caused the problem.

Would you like to know what all of this accomplished???

Well, this is a capital murder trial.  We're asking for life NOT death.  Even so, I've been trying to convince my boss to give the jury the option of the lesser included offense of murder.  Not anymore.  He clearly is as mean as our case shows because he's raised a mean family.  It will probably be better for his kids and grandkids if he does a little time to learn a little humility.  Maybe he will even understand what it means to be afraid of other people like his 29 year old female victim was afraid of him when she died.

As far as the small man who caused the problem... well, he'll be taking a class now to learn how to be a baliff.  He was also replaced for today and tomorrow by someone who immediately let the family know that outbursts will get them kicked out of court for the duration of the trial.  Oh!  And the new baliff let me email the victim's family on my phone when the judge was not on the bench.  It's amazing what playing the upset wide-eyed woman will get you in the south.

Would anyone else like to mess with me???

2 comments:

  1. Not to sound offensive or anything, but you are talking about years of a person's life. I can see by your description of the case he was no saint, but to go for the maximum because his family mocked you. Seems the slightest bit petty for some heckling and embarrassment that appears to have resolved itself in the courtroom already.

    Now going for the maximum for murder, well that's a different story, not the one I get here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Shannon: I understand your point. I've struggled with this case as you can see from earlier posts. My boss is lead attorney on this and feels mercy is nor warranted. Given the torture planned by the defendant, the 2 murders, and the abuse of the corpses, mercy is not warranted. I just felt bad for the family. Their behavior helped me come to terms with the magnitude of the punishment we're seeking. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete