Monday, February 7, 2011

Mr. Smith couldn't go to Washington today

by Shannon

Last night I watched the 1939 classic “Mr. Smith Goes to Washington”.  Some things are clearly different today - like reporters using payphones to call in stories.  Some things are all too familiar like the backdoor deals motivated by money and like the highly respected silver-haired man telling Mr. Smith, “I compromised so that I could sit in that Senate seat and serve our state in a thousand honest ways,” never realizing the sick irony of his admission.  

Here’s the main difference.  Mr. Smith couldn't have made it to Washington today.  In the movie they appointed him to the vacant seat thinking they could control the dolt.  What they ended up getting was someone who revered the Constitution, the Declaration, and our nation’s history.  What they got was an honest man who would not be controlled by the political machine.  
He was commended to the Governor by the Governor’s children who said, “He’s the greatest American we got, Dad!  He can tell you what George Washington said by heart!”  How many kids today would be impressed by that? 

When the Governor recommended him to the political machine he described Mr. Smith as “A simpleton… A big-eyed patriot.  Knows Lincoln and Washington by heart.  Stands at attention in the Governor’s presence.  Wouldn’t know what [politics] was about in two years – let alone two months.”  How many adults today can quote Lincoln or Washington?  
Mr. Smith himself said, “I’ll do my best.  I can promise you one thing.  I’ll do nothing to disgrace the office of United States Senator.”  When’s the last time you heard that?  Never?  I'm shocked!


Mr. Smith cared about the Constitution and the ideals upon which this nation was founded.  He’d never make it to Washington today because he wouldn’t know how to spin and package a campaign to get him there.  He wanted to uphold the Constitution and make government work as it was intended:  of the people, for the people, and by the people.  Much of what Mr. Smith said was both honest and unpopular.  I think there’s a lesson in that.  Joel Richardson said, “I think political correctness, moral relativity, and cultural relativity, has absolutely hamstrung the ability of the western world to think critically. We can’t analyze. We can’t objectively assess anything. Critical thinking is essentially kicked to the curb in light of cultural and moral relativity.”  I couldn’t agree more. 

I think we’ve mistaken political correctness for kindness and moral relativity for tolerance.  A coworker is mad at me because a week ago I stated two facts that are easily verifiable through Google and/or a trip to the library.  I felt bad until I realized that:

a) what I said was true,

b) I was not disrespectful, and

c) it was not said unkindly (it wasn't even directed to her or at her). 

Then I realized that I had no need to feel bad and no reason to apologize.  I also realized that there are some harder topics I'd like to explore here with you.  I was inspired by Mr. Smith last night, so be forewarned:   I will no longer temper my words with political correctness and I will not apologize for speaking the truth.  However, I will always temper my words with kindness and respect.

We no longer seem to be able to have an honest discussion or debate in this country anymore without name calling, threats, or violence.  It shouldn’t be that way.  Kindness should be a part of our language.  Political correctness should not.  Mr Smith said:  “Boys forget what their country means by reading ‘the land of the free’ in history books.  Then they get to be men and they forget even more.  Liberty’s too precious a thing to be buried in books.  Men should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives and say, ‘I’m free to think and to speak.  My ancestors couldn’t.  I can and my children will.”  That’s my prayer for all of us.

3 comments:

  1. Agreed. I have found myself in situations in which I'm afraid to speak up for what is true and right, for fear of appearing politically insensitive or offending someone. If we don't stand up for what is moral and just, then eventually we will live in a world in which "anything goes". I believe in what our nation was founded on, and hate to see us pulling away from those ideals. I resolve to speak boldly (yet kindly)!

    ReplyDelete