Thursday, February 17, 2011

Without Passion or Prejudice?

By Shannon

“I represent the government of the United States without passion or prejudice and my client has a case.” ~ Kevin Bacon in A Few Good Men

The other day my Facebook status read:  “Working on another case that turns my stomach.  Why did I become a lawyer?”  Several friends quickly responded that someone has to fight the good fight and encouraged me to keep on fighting. 

What about the times that I’m not sure I’m on the right side?

My friends assume that I’m on the right side because I’m a prosecutor.  When I was a defense attorney they assumed (correctly) that I was trying to help people.  My friends give me the benefit of the doubt and I love them for it.  Truth is I became a lawyer so that I would know how to help people.

What about times I’m given orders that could be wrong and right?

The case I’m working is still pending, so I cannot give you details yet.  Sufficed to say that my boss wants one result for the sake of justice and I think justice demands a different result.  I actually find myself on the defendant’s side on this one, but the State is my client.  My job description is statutorily defined as “to do justice” NOT “to win convictions and get the longest punishment possible.” 

What happens when what my client and/or my boss wants is not immoral, but may or may not be just – or worse, it may be and may not be just at the same time?

People think lawyers are greedy amateur human beings with no hearts and no souls.  Some are.  However, the majority wrestle with our consciences and with justice.  Sometimes there simply are no winners.

Without passion or prejudice, Kevin Bacon?  Tonight I wrestle with both.

Pic from www.aveleyman.com

4 comments:

  1. I wish more people would/could read what we really go through and think about in our daily lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lawyers are just doing their job. But doing your job doesn't mean that it is not reasonable for good and educated people to hate you for it. It is your cost of doing business and exactly what you signed up for.

      Delete
  2. From Shannon: Trisha, I agree! I hope this offers a miniscule glimpse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow... I hope you let us know what happens.

    ReplyDelete